This Lunar New Year 2022 begins on February 1, 2022! And, the Chinese zodiac animal to represent 2022 is the tiger, making this super fun tiger mask craft is the perfect craft for kids this New Year.
Kids can have fun while practicing their painting skills as well as their scissor skills, if they're old enough. Animal masks are also lots of fun and are great for pretend play.
Imaginative-driven play is inclusive and invites everyone to join in. It lets your child express their creativity, solve problems, and develop other important skills.
- Construction paper (black and orange or yellow)
- (Non-toxic) orange paint & paintbrush
- Black marker
- Scissors (narrow)
- Paper plate (with white convex side)
- Popsicle stick
- Glue (stick or liquid)
Make the eye holes. Mark 2 dots on the paper plate for the centre of the eyes. With narrow scissors, puncture the dots and use the small holes you made as an incision point to cut out 2 circles. This will have to be entirely the adult's job!
Paint the convex side of the plate orange. This will be the front of the mask.
- While the paint is drying, cut out 4 pairs of triangles for the tiger's eyebrows and stripes on each side of the face.
- When the paint is dry, use a black marker to draw on the tiger's nose and mouth. You can do this in pencil first and have your child trace it with a marker to get extra fine-motor practice!
- Glue the stripes on. We did eyebrows and 3 stripes on each cheek.
- Outline ears on construction paper. Cut them out and tape them to the back of the mask. We used yellow paper and orange paint to make our ears.
- Tape the popsicle stick to the back of the mask, and voilà, you're done!
From Jan 19 - Feb 6, 2022, get a free picture book and Lunar New Year sticker sheet with a $24 purchase from our Lunar New Year Collection!